Friday 7 June 2013

Dare You To by Katie McGarry

 
If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....
Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.
But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all....

I jumped at the chance to request this one on NetGalley because I loved Pushing The Limits!
What I Loved:
Beth- Beth wasn't my favourite character in Pushing The Limits but I really liked her in Dare You To. I found her to be such a layered and confused character. I admired her loyalty to her mother however displaced it was and I completely understood her reception to Scott. Beth was heart-breaking to read with her tough attitude and hidden sadness. 
Ryan- Ryan surprised me. He seemed like a ordinary jock but he was much more than that, very talented and determines. I loved how much of a gentleman he was and how he treated Beth so well.
Dual Viewpoints- I loved the dual viewpoints in Pushing the Limits and I loved them even more in Dare You To. It added to the depth of the characters and especially helped to see the truth in Beth and Ryan's lives and relationships.
Side Cast- I liked Isaiah in Pushing the Limits but in Dare You To, he completely broke my heart! I understood that to Beth Isaiah was just her very best friend and nothing more, but the poor guy didn't!  I cannot wait for his story now! I loved that Lacey remembered Beth and instantly restarted their friendship, she reminded me of Lila, a true best friend. Scott was such a layered character like Beth, his past had affected his life and you could sense the guilt he felt over Beth. I loved how hard he tried to bond with Beth, he made a concrete effort when met with Beth's tough shell.

What I Didn't Love as Much:
Alison-  I really disliked Alison she was so reluctant to give Beth a chance. She didn't seem to give a thought to how important Scott was to Beth or vice versa.
Echo- I completely forgot that Beth didn't get on so well with Echo so I was expecting more of Noah and Echo- there's always the next one!

I loved how different Beth and Ryan were to Noah and Echo, the side cast and Katie's writing was as easy to read and addictive as ever.

The sneak peek of Isaiah's story will make desperate to read it!
Did you love Beth's story?
Much Love!
Lettie
Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!